The Cannes Film Festival on Tuesday rejected plans to cancel the yearly event, but will rather postponed 2020 edition in June or July, saying it will explore other options.
French President Emmanuel Macron extended France’s national lockdown due to the covid-19 pandemic, prohibiting all sorts of public events until mid-July. This basically dented the hopes of Cannes organizers who last month said they would sight to move the annual May event a month or two.
“Following the French president’s statement … we acknowledged that the postponement of the 73rd International Cannes Film Festival, initially considered for the end of June to the beginning of July, is no longer an option,” organizers said in a statement.
“It is clearly difficult to assume that the Festival de Cannes could be held this year in its original form.”
The film industry is hopefully expecting Cannes, the largest film festival and the movie market, will be canceled. But the festival on Tuesday said it’s still observing and looking for other possibilities that might allow Cannes to happen in the some fashion.
“Since yesterday evening we have started many discussions with professionals, in France and abroad,” said the festival. “They agree that the Festival de Cannes, an essential pillar for the film industry, must explore all contingencies allowing to support the year of Cinema by making Cannes 2020 real, in a way or another.”
Discussion about this post